Wednesday, November 5, 2008

US Embassy Visit

Whew! Other than picking up the VISA from the US Embassy after 3:30 PM on Thursday, and a final visit to say goodbye to the staff at the orphanage, we have everything done. So, I have a few more things that I thought of to pick up, and then finish packing, and I am ready to go home.


The Embassy visit went great. We were able to bypass all of the long lines, because we were applying for an immigrant VISA, and not for a tourist VISA. After completing the forms, I had a series of 2 "interviews" with an agent, and then we were approved for the VISA's. It is normal to have to go back the next day to pick up the actual VISA.

This afternoon we walked to a shop that sells the Colombian Futbol (soccer) uniforms, as we couldn't have 2 boys from Colombia, and not have the official soccer uniform. I bought them a little large, so they will have them to wear next summer. I still would like to pick up a soccer ball for the boys, so hopefully I can do that tomorrow. I was waiting to see if I have the room to spare in my luggage, and it looks like it just might fit.

So, Thursday's agenda, is to go to Ayudame orphanage at 10 AM, then hopefully sneak in a trip to Unicentro mall for the soccer ball, then go to the US Embassy at 3:30 to pick up the VISA's. We will need to say goodbye to the staff in the evening, as they have been so wonderful to all of us, and then to bed, for my challenging day ahead of travelling home on Friday, with 2 active boys!!

Adios!

Joyce Eric Diego and Jeferson

8 comments:

The Jaenischs said...

You are done!!!! You made it, girl and we are all proud of you!!! Doesn't it just feel great to have all of that behind you and now you can just tie up the last lose ends and fly HOME!!! Good for you!
Just an FYI--we bought Ben's soccer ball at Maku and they deflated it for us for ease of packing--very handy and it even had a little net so we could hang it in his room for display.
I think all this excitement calls for some Crepes and Waffles ice cream!!! But then, what doesn't call for ice cream?!?! :0)
Have a great night!
Mary

KR said...

Happy packing! I am so happy for the four of you. Glad everything went smoothly with the VISAS! Hope to see you soon. Travel safely!

Love,
Kristen & Jeremy

Anonymous said...

Can you believe you are coming home TOMORROW?!? What a long and incredible journey you have been on. And your attitudes through it all have been unbelievable!! You are great models for all of us to look up to and remember when in this process!

I am sure that the goodbyes will be hard tonight. It is such a weird feeling to say goodbye to the people who have been taking care of you and supporting you during your time there. And as much as you want to get home, that feeling of leaving Colombia is hard too. Just think of the journey that lies ahead though! Can't wait to hear how things are going once you are all reunited, and the boys become accustomed to life in Wisconsin.

Enjoy your last day and safe travels!

Patsy, Jon, Will and Jake

Anonymous said...

Hola Joyce, Diego, Jeferson

we wish you a safe trip home ! I had to thaink about you when we passed our house on the way to kindergarden this morning. Sebastian asked me "wo mein Zimmer (where my room) ?" - he leaves out "to be" in his sentences - and when I showed him his window he sighed deeply, smiled and said "Mami, schön, mein Zimmer (wonderful! My room)". He is really happy and feels at home and thats what will happen to Diego and Jeferson SOON ! And that is so wonderful !!!

Hello Eric,
we can imagine how you feel when your family is so close to coming home now !

Good luck to you all !!!

Steffi, Wilhelm, Lisa and Sebastian

The Jaenischs said...

The forecast is for snow to welcome you home...bet it will be the happiest you have been to see snow since you were a kid! :0) There is just no place like home--won't it feel great just to hug Eric and be together again as a family?!?! I bet he is just crazy with excitement to see the 3 of you!!! Hope he enjoyed having a quiet home the last few weeks as those days are over!!! :0) I just keep picturing you guys getting ready for the upcoming holidays with all the hussle and bustle and excitement and this year you get to see it all through not only the eyes of a child but of 2 wonderful children!!! What a blessing for all of you!
As much as you want to get home I know tonight will be difficult! It's hard to say goodbye to the country that has taken such great care of all of you and given you your most precious gifts--you wonderful boys! We'll be thinking of you as you say your goodbyes!
We also wish you safe and stress free travels tomorrow...okay, stress free might be asking for a bit much but we hope all goes well!!! I bet the boys will totally step up to the plate and be big helpers to their mom! Our best advice for flying with the kids is to pack lots of snacks, lots of simple activities (cars, crayons/paper/stickers, small books) and lots of movies!! It will go just fine and there will be lots of people helping you along the way!
Enjoy your last day in Bogota!!! Happy packing!
Brian, Mary, Lauren & Ben

Anonymous said...

Reason to celebrate!! You are coming home with your two boys!! It has been a journey for all of you the past couple of months. And think of all the journeys you will take together once you are back home. Wishing you all the best -- safe flight home -- and hope to see you and the kids once you are settled!
All the best!
Rita Dahl

Glenda said...

Safe and Happy travels tomorrow. Can you believe it tomorrow night your boys will be safely tucked in their beds in the beautiful home Eric and you have created. What a beautiful picture. I know I have said it so many times before but Joyce I just can't tell you how happy I am for you two.
Get a good nights sleep tonight you have a very busy day ahead of you tomorrow. Be sure to post a blog when you get home. I'll be anxious to read about your travels.
Your Friend
Glenda

Anonymous said...

Hola-
Safe travels--Call me when things get settlesd...ok just call me soon since your life may be crazy for a while!!!lol

I miss you all tons already!!! Trying to figure out when to book the flight to MKE!! Great suggestion fron the Jaenishes--Bring lots of snacks for the boys for the customs line. They seem to be settled when they are munching--They must get that from Tia Jeanne-;0)
Safe Travels-
Jeanne