Tuesday, November 4, 2008

New Birth Certificates and Colombian Passports

It's official. The boys now share our last name. For Colombian purposes, they carry 2 last names- Diego Alexander Christy Rindfleisch and Jeferson Gustavo Christy Rindfleisch. We did not change their given first and middle names. Once we do the paperwork in the States, we will drop the Rindfleisch part of the last name, as this is not a norm in the US.

Cecilia and Mario, our driver, picked me up at 7:15 AM this morning. We headed over to the Notary in Downtown Bogota, to get the new Birth Certificates. After completing the paperwork, we were told that we could pick it up after 11:00 AM. So we returned to pick up the official birth certificates of the boys, listing us as the parents.

Next, we rushed back to the hotel, to pick up the boys, and go to the Passporte office to get their Colombian passports. When we arrived, we first had the pictures taken of the boys for their passports, doctor visit, and US VISA's. Then we moved on to completing the application for the Passport. When we arrived at the counter, the agent told us that our Sentencia documents did not include mine and Eric's Passport numbers, and this is a requirement! Apparently Court 15 does not put the passport numbers on the Sentencia documents. We had waited so long for this document, and I was very upset to find out that is was inadequate. After some convincing, Cecilia was able to get the passport office to agree to having the revision faxed over by the court. So, Mario, our driver, went back to the hotel to get the kids, as we had dropped them off at the hotel when we thought we were going back to the courts. Then, Mario headed back to the courts, to personally, fax over the copy of the revision to the Passport office. It was great how everyone worked together to get the passports for the boys. The office closed at 3:00 PM, and we walked out of their with 2 passports at 3:15 PM.

Next, we headed over to the Doctors office, for the boys to get a physical, which is required by the US Embassy to bring the boys to the US. This was also very interesting, as when our name was called at the clinic, we walked ourselves back to the doctors office, where he was waiting. His office was long and narrow, and it seemed like a mile to the other end of the office where the doctor was sitting behind his desk. It was somewhat intimidating and nothing like what you would find in the US. The children are healthy, and average for their ages. Diego had actually grown about 6 inches from earlier this year. They are currently in sizes 6 for Diego, and Size 4T for Jeferson, and I guess that this is average for their ages as well.

The one thing the doctor did say, is that they need to learn what "no touch" means. They were curious and touched everything in sight.

After about an hour, we were finished, with the papers in hand required by the US Embassy, to issue their VISA's. We returned back to the hotel about 6PM. This is by far the busiest day that I have had in Bogota. But well worth it. And just think, it was good practice for all of the future days that I will have, running the boys to school, and sports, and events!!!!

IT IS ALL WELL WORTH IT!!!! And I got so much accomplished. Tomorrow, Mario will be picking me and the boys up at the hotel, at 9:30 AM, and we will be going to the US Embassy for the children's VISA. We should then be able to return to pick up the VISA on Thursday.

We booked our flights, and we are scheduled to leave here at 9:30 AM on Friday morning, and arrive at Chicago O'Hare at approximately 6PM!!!! It is hard to believe only a few more days.
Although, I think that Colombia is a beautiful country with such kind people, I am ready to come home. We know we will be back to visit this wonderful native country to our boys.

Adios.

Joyce Eric Jeferson and Diego

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola Christy familia from Tia Jeanne! I miss you already!!!! I can't stop thinking and talking about my two new adorable nephews!!! They are so cute and loving and snuggly--not to mention the Energy!0) The flight went well. The driver Jiame (spell Hymie?) was terrific. He parked then took the shuttle with me to the airport. Walked in--took my passport to the Tax/exit window while I waited to the side (NO taxes for me-yay!. Then he walked me to the Delta "hostess?" and explained I was not checking luggage, waited for me when I went to the window for my boarding pass, then walked me to the security gate and waited until I got through. I was there Very Early-but it was a holiday! Pretty standard security here.

I walked through the several corridors, had coffee and relaxed. then onto the next "check point" a table on either side of the hall with about 5 soldiers at each. They opened my two carryons and pretty thoroughly checked through. Then a woman at the end of the tables wanded and frisked me. No food or beverages available after that point.

I then proceeded down the hall to "gate 7" -which is actually an enclosed room with windows. They were still boarding the flight before mine. I sat in the hallway chairs and read. I ended up going out of "gate (room) six- In which they did the passport check again upon entering and another row of tables with security that again went through and opened the gifts I bought in my suitcases...but at least I had a jetway to the plane from here. I did notice on the landing strip an American jet boarding that had the shuttle dropping off passengers at it's steps FYI. Anyway, just an idea so be prepared for three carryon checks.

Customs was a little crazier in ATL than I have experienced previously. But I kept thinking of what it would be like with two active litle ones.HMMMM...you'll be fine (maybe leashes??lol)Hey, If necessary, ask for a wheelchair and sit them both in it!! It was still way easier and quicker than gettng into Colombia.
Sorry to write so much...I really do miss you guys...So glad everything fell into place today so far...and remember the mantra "No chicklets in belly..." Gosh they are sooooo cute. Tell Cari, Nana and Emma hi-Hope all is moving along for them as well.
Love-Ti Amo
Tia Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hola Christy familia from Tia Jeanne! I miss you already!!!! I can't stop thinking and talking about my two new adorable nephews!!! They are so cute and loving and snuggly--not to mention the Energy!0) The flight went well. The driver Jiame (spell Hymie?) was terrific. He parked then took the shuttle with me to the airport. Walked in--took my passport to the Tax/exit window while I waited to the side (NO taxes for me-yay!. Then he walked me to the Delta "hostess?" and explained I was not checking luggage, waited for me when I went to the window for my boarding pass, then walked me to the security gate and waited until I got through. I was there Very Early-but it was a holiday! Pretty standard security here.

I walked through the several corridors, had coffee and relaxed. then onto the next "check point" a table on either side of the hall with about 5 soldiers at each. They opened my two carryons and pretty thoroughly checked through. Then a woman at the end of the tables wanded and frisked me. No food or beverages available after that point.

I then proceeded down the hall to "gate 7" -which is actually an enclosed room with windows. They were still boarding the flight before mine. I sat in the hallway chairs and read. I ended up going out of "gate (room) six- In which they did the passport check again upon entering and another row of tables with security that again went through and opened the gifts I bought in my suitcases...but at least I had a jetway to the plane from here. I did notice on the landing strip an American jet boarding that had the shuttle dropping off passengers at it's steps FYI. Anyway, just an idea so be prepared for three carryon checks.

Customs was a little crazier in ATL than I have experienced previously. But I kept thinking of what it would be like with two active litle ones.HMMMM...you'll be fine (maybe leashes??lol)Hey, If necessary, ask for a wheelchair and sit them both in it!! It was still way easier and quicker than gettng into Colombia.
Sorry to write so much...I really do miss you guys...So glad everything fell into place today so far...and remember the mantra "No chicklets in belly..." Gosh they are sooooo cute. Tell Cari, Nana and Emma hi-Hope all is moving along for them as well.
Love-Ti Amo
Tia Jeanne

KR said...

Have a safe trip home!!!

Love,
Kristen & Jeremy

PK said...

You're on the home stretch! Thanks for letting us tag along. I hope you occasionally post when you get home to keep us up to date on the boys.

Happy trails!
Phyllis Kern

The Jaenischs said...

Yeah! So glad yesterday was a successful and productive day!! I bet it feels great to have your flights booked and a date and time that you will be HOME!!!
You are such a trooper and you handled all of your journey with such a great attitude!! Now you just need to get home and begin your new life together! :0)
So happy for you! Hope today goes as well!!!
Mary

Anonymous said...

You have been busy! I always love the end stuff, even with the mistakes (seems to happen to everyone and Cecilia always seems to come up with a way to fix them!) and the craziness of it all. But like you said, your busy-ness has been well worth every minute, and what a feeling it must be to have Jeferson and Diego's names offically the same as yours!

You are in the home stretch! Take in everything these last two days! You'll be home before you know it!

Enjoy your night,
Patsy and boys

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! They are finally Christys :) :) :) They carry your last name now and couldn't be with 2 more wonderful people than Joyce and Eric!

Best of luck on your return home. I pray it is stress-free for you Joyce. I will keep you and the boys in my prayers!

I hope to continue reading your blog after you have returned home. It has been a wealth of information and a delight to check in on every day or so. Thank you for all the time you both have put into creating this blog for us to enjoy the journey with you!

Great days ahead!

Love,
Renee & Connor :)