Friday, August 29, 2008

Ending Week Two, Beginning . . .

August 29, 2008



This week has actually been a bit boring, by last week's standards. The routine during the week seems to be working. Jeferson does really well with Mami in the afternoon, and he doesn't have to compete with his brother. He has been very busy playing with the other children that are also staying at Zuetana 106. There is another girl his same age here, Anna, and the 2 of them play very well together. They set times in the afternoon, when they will be racing trucks in the hallway. Anna and her sister Maria, are adopted by a Danish couple. They have been here for 5 weeks, and are just awaiting the final Sentencia.

There have been some interesting few things over the last few days as Diego's school routine begins. First, Papi and Diego are really spending their time as best as they can. Each day Papi stays with Diego until Professor Lolita come to the security gate to let all the kids in. This process has always been met with loads of hugs and kisses from Professor Lolita and the kids in mutual expressions of love and respect. Diego seems to get a bit "extra". He has given her an apple three of five days this week. On two of the days, Papi did not even know that Diego had sneaked the apple into his backpack. Pardon the punn, but Diego is the "apple of several peoples eye" here in Bogota. Papi is getting in a solid three hours of work per day this week, after he drops off Diego at school. No doubt this will make the bosses at GB happy.

I have made some additional observations while here in Bogota. I visited the orphanage a couple of times this week for very brief visits. Since we brought flowers earlier this week, and because I saw the children being given a mid afternoon snack of a Kellogs Cereal Bar, I brought several boxes for the children. I was totally AMAZED to see them each run away once seeing what was inside the bag with the best of "cheerleading" you could think of, then lining up like troopers for one of them. I brought enough for several days, and I was assurred they were VERY welcomed and would be handed out in due time.


Another observation I have made is the reinforcing of the people and their helpfullness in daily activities - well except for the taxi's. I can not seem to get the same price for a taxi ride to school each day. Now it is sort of a game I play to see the expression on their face with my limited English. I mean they take the same route, and it takes about the same amount of time each trip. It should cost the same - right? Go figure!



I have met the shop owner again for lunch a few days this week, and it is amazing how much he simply wants to help me with everything. We ask many questions, and I in no way feel threatened by his questioning, and I sense total honesty on his part. We have talked about American/Colombian culture, politics, business, fashion, television, etc. He continued to talk about the Colombian Pride and passion for their country. I stated I believe there are good people everywhere in the world - you just need to find them. If enough good people in the world find the other good people - we all would be much better for it.

We have determined that Diego is a very smart boy. He argued with us regarding the uniform that he was to wear to school today. As per the teacher, on Friday, they are to wear their sweat suits. We finally told him that he could pack his other uniform and some other sweats in his backpack and take them to school with him. Along with his other uniform and and sweats and a t-shirt, he also packed 6 pair of underwear and some socks. I was not sure if he was planning to leave us for a few days, or if maybe he was planning to sell the underwear at school!!!! Well, needless to say, when Eric picked him up at school, he was wearing different clothes. He certainly knows what going on. We are not sure what the plan for the underwear was, but his backpack contained all six pair when he returned from school.

Mami was not feeling too well today, so she slept much of the day. Jeferson kept an eye on her in the afternoon. At one point, he came up to her and put his hand on her eyes as if to shut them and said "dormeil". Spanish for sleep. He then took his brown blanket and put it over her. On the way out of the room, he said "chow" and closed the door, so mami could get some rest. Papi was so good at getting the boys breakfast and getting them showered in the morning, so mami could rest. He then took them out for a walk, and to the playground. He returned in time for Diego to eat lunch and and then took him to school. Papi is so very helpful with the boys, and the boys adore him. He is such a great Padre! He also brought mami some flowers today, as a get well token, and also assisted the maids in making some fresh squeezed orange juice for her.

So, we are now counting the days until we meet with the defender of minors next week, as the next step in our process. We have a meeting on Tuesday, September 2. After this, the adoption process will enter the courts, and then we will just wait for things to flow through the courts.

Adios for now. Eric, Joyce, Diego and Jeferson.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boy, it just sounds like everything is going as smooth as can be for all of you! It will be nice to get your case into a court and get the ball rolling, won't it? It is a very short meeting with the Defender if Minors, and they'll ask you questions about why you chose Colombia to adopt, etc. Cecilia is so great about preparing you for all of these things. The meeting will go quickly, and then the waiting begins! You have much to keep you busy though! :-)
Have a nice weekend. Ask the cooks to make some ajiaco soup...a Colombian specialty...yummy!!! (Have you figured out yet that all of us that have been there are all about the food?? :0)
Take care,
Patsy and boys

Anonymous said...

Hey Joyce, don't hesitate to call the doctor too if you need her, she is awesome and makes house calls! and then she comes back to check on you as well and all FOR ONE FEE! You might have a little altitude sickness or sometimes all the meat in the old diet can cause problemos! Good news about your defendor meeting! Always very nice people! You won't believe how quickly you are there and then gone! Take care and good schedule! Wish I could find any sort of schedule with me kids :) Jodi

The Jaenischs said...

Good luck at your Defender meeting tomorrow! Like Patsy said, it goes by fast and is nothing to worry about! It will go great and then you are off and running in the court system!
We love all your fun stories about the boys and especially liked the bit about packing the underware for school in this blog! You are going to have a lifetime of funny stories with your 2 little men....they will keep you hopping!!! :0)
It's a rainy fall-like day in MN with like 80% humidity...YUCK! Lauren was off to her 1st day of Kindergarten this morning and was totally pumped up which made it lots easier for Mom and Dad too!
Did you hear that Dulcie and Johnny are heading your way next Sunday? Yeah--friends from the midwest!!! Hope it is okay that we are sending a little gift for your boys along with them...VIKINGS jerseys!!! Just what every boy needs! Tee Hee!Just Kidding! :0) You guys will have a great time together! I bet your boys will just love baby Manny and be big helpers to them!
Hope you are having a great day!
Brian, Mary, Lauren & Ben

Anonymous said...

Hola Joycee Eric Diego and Jefferson.

I am thinking of you and praying all went well in the courts today. Just think only 6 more weeks...The first few weeks have gone by fast...and the boys will make time go faster. Alls well here... Empty nesters again...but believe me we've both enjoyed those 18 years...Remember to trust your own instincts as to what is best. You two will be the best parents...
I watched this travel show on Colombian food...some looked yummy...and some scary. Knowing how you love exotic things (NOT) I'm sure dinner's a hit or miss....

You'll have to bring the boys to their new nations capitol...I haven't done the sightseeing thing since Katka was here...
Love,
Tia Jeanne & Tio Tom

KR said...

Hi Joyce & Eric,

Hope your meeting went well today! Looking forward to hearing about it.

Not much new here... Jeremy and I are planning a weekend trip to Door County with Arden & Marilyn in mid-September. I'll have to send you photos after we go!

abrazos y besas!
Kristen